Steptoe & Johnson LLP is seeking a Legislative/Legal Research Analyst to join the Research and Information Services Department in its Washington, D.C. office. This position will provide legislative monitoring and tracking, conduct legislative research, and perform legal and non-legal research and reference services. Please send a cover letter with your application.
• Monitors legislative developments in areas critical to S&J practice areas. Prepare daily updates for attorneys of key legislative trends and changes.
• Develops alerts for practice groups, as needs arise.
• Creates and maintains alert services that identify matters of interest to attorneys, as well as existing and potential clients.
• Maintains current awareness of federal congressional schedules and activities.
• Undertakes complex legislative and regulatory history research assignments requiring the use of various specialized sources. Prepares summary explanation of results.
• Participates in general research coverage, handling legal, regulatory and non-legal research questions.
• Assists with evaluating new and updated versions of information resources, both online and print, and recommends beneficial, cost effective resources for the Firm.
• Participates in training and presenting on research topics for different Firm constituencies.
• Assists other department professional staff members when needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Highly developed understanding of the federal legislative process and knowledge of government documents and sources.
• Superior ability to analyze information and evaluate new research products meant for legislative/ regulatory work.
• Knowledge of Capitol Hill – contacts, protocols, and procedures.
• Ability to master new research tools in an expedited timeframe.
• Broad and thorough knowledge of legal, business and financial information sources.
• Current awareness of knowledge and information technology developments.
• Expertise in using computer-based research tools: Lexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg Law, CCH Cheetah, HeinOnline.
• Thorough competency with relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
• Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and in stressful situations.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science or Political Science or J.D.
• Minimum two years legislative reference and research experience.
• Requires occasional weekend coverage.
Steptoe is an equal opportunity employer EOE/AA/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. We strongly encourage qualified women, minorities, Veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community to apply.